Friday, March 29, 2013

First cut

memory quilt for boy
Just over a week ago Linda and I met with a lady who would like us to make a memory quilt for her son.

She wants us to incorporate pieces of clothing from the first two years of his life.

This week I have been busy sorting and cutting and today was the first time I was able to proceed towards creating some of the blocks.

Each one will be 8 inches when sewn into the quilt and I need to make 30.  Today I was able to put together the basics for 25 of them.

I am revealing a sneak peak of some of the blocks that are still very much a work in progress.
memory quilt for boy

There will be few pocket patches.

The quilt is to be used by the young boy it is being made for.  A pocket with a velcro tab could well be an ideal place for him to hide precious treasures.









memory quilt for boy
Incorporating pieces from a little man's shirt is also on the agenda.

As a mother of 4 boys you can imagine that sorting through these items and making decisions has been a lot of fun for me.

I have lots of motifs from garments to work with as well so there will be more to tell as work progresses.

I hope you will enjoy the opportunity to follow my updates on this project.

Linda will be machine quilting the blocks when I have pieced them and we have a commitment to complete by the end of April.  So far so good.

Linking to:-

Farmgirl Friday # 102 
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop
Find A Friend Friday
A Favorite Thing #  30
The Creative Blog Hop # 5
The Creative Home Acre Hop # 9

11 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

what a very fun project-enjoy

Nancy said...

I've seen a few of these memory quilts, and they are very cute.

Bonnie K said...

I really like the idea and I love the pockets. I can guess there will be lots of treasures in them.

Bonnie K said...

I really like the idea and I love the pockets. I can guess there will be lots of treasures in them.

crazyquilter said...

Yes, I very much like the concept of pockets for holding treasures, as long as they are not the food kind of treasures - even then it will not be my worry - lol!

Cherie said...

Oh WOW Peggy that's beautiful! Love how you've included labels too, truly lovely :)

Diane said...

What a great idea! Never made a quilt, but I've made a couple pillows out of my daughter's shirts when they got too small (she didn't want to part with the shirts so this was a compromise!). Visiting from MHC.

Claudia said...

What a priceless quilt that will be for the boy. When Don's dad died, his sister and stepmother had quilts made up for the kids from his dad's clothing. And there is a pocket patch on the quilt. It's priceless to him.

Thanks so much for joining in this week!

xo
Claudia

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

My goodness this is going to be such a special quilt and I know the boy will be so proud. I always wanted to make one of those for my girls but never did...even though they are grown I may still make them one..Thank you so much for sharing with us over at The Creative Blog Hop! You are one talented quilter.
Happy Easter!

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I placed your link on this weeks because last weeks ended and I wanted others to see your work. Thanks again.
http://dollysdesigns.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-creative-blog-hop-6-going-live-today.html

Lisa Lynn said...

Very cute! Thank you for sharing your post on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
I hope to see you back tomorrow for our next hop!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-creative-homeacre-10.html