Thursday, June 14, 2012

Made by Me for Me

Well I did make it for me but CiCi thinks it is for her too.

Some quilts are a bit like wine, they need to be left to mature and this one was a while in the making.

Our Sweet Pea group give each other fat quarters for our respective birthdays in the colours of our choice.

For two birthdays I have received fat quarters in shades of autumn so I thought it was about time to do something with them.

I bought some cream fabric for contrast and Linda had found a pattern for a disappearing nine patch on the internet so I decided to give that a go.

Some of my colour choices were not too good and so the layout suggested in the pattern did not seem to work for me.  I decided to play around with the blocks and came up with a layout that revealed stars and so I decided to call the quilt, Surprisingly Starry:-


I asked Linda to quilt it in a way to emphasize the stars and so instead of doing an overall design she tried a number of different techniques and included squares within diamonds, curved cross hatching and piano keys and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.
Now that I have had my fill of autumn fabrics (still more in my stash though), I am asking for soft greens and soft pinks so my next quilt creation from those colours will be quite different, I am sure.

You can read more about this quilt from Linda's perspective on her blog.

2 comments:

Kiwi Crafter said...

Looks wonderful Peggy. Lovely to see you again,sorry it was so brief. As always you give me great enthusiasim to carry on crafting!

Nancy said...

Your quilt is lovely in those rich Autumn colors.

I love the idea of gifting FQs for birthdays, and it's nice that you can select the color range. Happy Birthday!